Tuesday, September 18, 2012

French Vanilla Coffee Bean Candles

Hello everyone! Megan here! So recently it was Alex's sister's birthday. Her name also happens to be Megan. Weird, right? Well, with her birthday on the horizon I knew we had to get her something. Alex wasn't any help because he's the worst gift giver ever. Ask me what he got me for our first Christmas together. I dare you. So, back to the story.  Megan is a real big coffee fiend. She's constantly in and out of Starbucks. If it's not Starbucks then it's her own brew at home. We had done Starbucks gift cards as her gift before and I just didn't want to go down that road again. I knew we had to get Megan something for her birthday. But nothing was coming to me. Then, Pintrest to the rescue!










(Now, the original site that hosted this project is gone. I scoured every web search engine looking for it to no avail. So. I'm sooooo sorry I have no one to credit for this brilliant idea.)


I just had to find the supplies for this little project. And let me tell you, I wasn't not looking forward to it. For some unknown reason, all the thrift stores here in Savannah (Goodwill included) completely overcharge for someone's unwanted junk. Remember the knock -off Anthropologie Mirror I did? I found that mirror for 3 bucks in a thrift store in my hometown of Dahlonega, Georgia. A mirror similar to that but a little more busted up around the edges here? $45. I kid you not. FORTY-FIVE DOLLARS for a old mirror where part of the wooden frame is falling off? I don't think so! I seriously did not want to travel seven hours to find cute little cups and something they could sit on for this project. So, I went to Goodwill hoping that I would find something at a reasonable price. 

And what did I find?


This little cutie. Three of them in fact. Nevermind that I had to search behind some plates on the bottom row, but I found them. How much you ask? 60 cents a piece. SCORE! Now, would I get this lucky about finding something cute to place them on?



Why yes, I was lucky enough to find something. Granted, this was hidden under tons of baking sheets, but I was determined darn it! And this cost me 70 cents. Needless to say I was really happy about my Goodwill haul.



What I wasn't happy about was the $14 it cost me to get these coffee beans and tealight candles. But, to be fair I did get two of each. The coffee cost me $5 a bag and the tealights were $2 a box. I got two bags of coffee beans because I didn't think one was gonna be enough. SURPRISE! It was. I got the second box of tealight candles for Megan to use as refills. I just gave the second bag of coffee beans and the second box of tealight candles to Megan as refills. So, it worked out in the end.

This tutorial is pretty easy and self-explanatory. But I'll walk through the steps.

1. Pour your coffee beans into your cups.

2.Place one tealight candle in the center of the coffee beans. 

The end.

Like I said, self-explanatory.



I was pretty happy how they turned out though.




Sorry for the bad lighting in this picture. The sun had gone down and well, my house is pretty dark without the sun for picture lighting. Thanks for joining us this Tuesday. If you have any questions please comment below. We love to hear from you!



4 comments:

  1. I love the look of this and I LOVE the smell of coffee, so cute! I'm a new follower of you guys and love your blog! I am trying to figure out how to participate in your Mixer Mondays but haven't quite figured out what to do. I'm a little new :)

    Thanks so much!
    Nikki
    http://ncmrsdye.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nikki! We seem to be having a bit of technical difficulties with our first mixer, I'll let you know when we have it back up! Sorry for the inconvenience we can't wait to see what you link up when its up and running again.

      Also we'd love to follow you back but I can't seem to find a follow button on your page, if I'm missing it please let me know!

      Delete
    2. Okay we believe it is up again now. You want to scroll down and click the "Click here to enter" link, that'll take you a new page. In the first box put the url of the post you are linking (not your home page). Caption or title is going to be the name of your post. Fill out your email and name. Then I recommend on step four clicking from web when it has selected "Let me crop my own image" that should bring up all the pictures in your post, choose which one you want to be your thumbnail and crop it how you want!

      Delete
  2. These are adorable! I love coffee, and candles, so I love this idea.

    New follower from the Made U Look Linky #42

    Shel
    http://shelconnors.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Happy Crafting!

Megan@ Whimsically Homemade