Saturday, July 14, 2012

Sugar Scrub For Super Soft Hands

Yay! It's a tutorial post! Sorry this post is up late this week. I'm been racking my brain trying to decide what I was going do for you guys. I was thinking about my friend Teresa and her upcoming birthday and what I was going to get my super busy friend. She goes super crazy about her birthdays. I thought back on all the gifts I have given her previously for Christmas and other birthdays. And the one that stuck in my mind was the homemade spa basket that I had given her last year for Christmas. I made a brown sugar scrub for her out of olive oil and well...brown sugar. Since then however, I came across another wonderfully brilliant sugar scrub made from dish soap and just plain old white sugar. That, my friends is what I've  decided to share with you today.


And before you ask, no this isn't what my friend Teresa is getting for her birthday. I think she would kill me if I got her the same kind of gift twice. No, the gift I got her is going make her squeal with joy and excitement. (Stayed tuned for that post later this month. *wink wink*)

My friend Teresa on her trip to New York; which she tells me was horrendous. 



Supplies:

1 mason jar ( The short fat ones, the jelly jars, or the big huge ones whatever works for you. I didn't use a mason jar cause I like to use something I can actually stick my hand in to get the stuff. I got this jar at Michaels for like $3 and it's a nice air tight container.)

Dawn Olay Hand Renewal Dish Soap. ( The lavender kind. There is also a pomegranate scent that's pink, but I like to use the lavender one because I can add lavender oil to it. I haven't really had any luck in finding a pomegranate oil.)

3-5 drops lavender oil ( Optional)

White sugar ( How much depends on your container)

Directions:


1. Fill your container about 3/4 of the way full of  white sugar.


2. This next part you just kinda have to wing it. Pour your Dawn dish soap into the container. Again, how much depends on your container. Usually, you fill it up to just under the rim in a mason jar. I, however had to kinda to guesstimate mine because of the airtight seal thingie on the jar. Anyway, you just want to add enough soap to create a nice paste. You can always go back and add more dish soap if you need to. When I add my dish soap I always go head and add about 3 drops of lavender oil to it. You can add more depending on how strong you want your scent to be. Or you don't have to add any. The lavender oil is totally your call.


3. Mix your sugar and soap (and the optional lavender oil if you chose to use it) until the sugar is completely saturated in soap and it's paste like.


4. BOOM! Instant sugar scrub. Use about a teaspoon of this on your hands once or twice a day. (Or if you like me, a big heaping pile with two fingers) Make sure you rub it in over your sink because this stuff can get kind of messy. Wash off with warm water and pat dry with a towel. You'll want to use this stuff within  two weeks because it will harden up after a time.


Thank you for joining me today. I hope everyone enjoys their weekend. If you haven't already please make sure you check out this week's Favorite Finds and stop by our Etsy shop! See you guys next week!






1 comment:

  1. I love love loved my sugar scrub last year. It left my skin amazingly soft and didn't have any residue left(i was worried about that) i used every bit of it, thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete

Happy Crafting!

Megan@ Whimsically Homemade